Next Home Game
Cardiff Devils Dundee Stars
Devils v Dundee Stars Sun 1 Mar 2020 / 4:00pm
Book Tickets
Title Sponsor: Peacocks
Devils Edge Flames with Overtime Win on Wednesday

Devils Edge Flames with Overtime Win on Wednesday

The Cardiff Devils got back to winning ways with a 4-3 win over the Guildford Flames on Wednesday night at Viola Arena.

An impressive crowd for a midweek clash saw a penalty called for a face-off violation just 13 seconds into the game.  The Flames made it 1-0 on the ensuing powerplay with Jesse Craige scoring at 2:13 just as Matt Pope was about to step back onto the ice.

Pictured Below: Bentivoglio battles for the puck with a Guildford defender


The middle period saw the Devils even it up with a powerplay goal of their own when Layne Ulmer fired the puck top shelf over the shoulder of Chris Carrozzi at 26:27.  

Pictured Below: Ulmer scores the Devils first goal on the powerplay


Four minutes later, the Flames were back in front thanks to an impressive individual effort from Kruise Reddick who danced around a Devils defender and fired the puck low past Ben Bowns to give the visitors a 2-1 lead at 30:42. 

Two minutes later, the Flames extended their lead when Evan Janssen found the back of the net, making it 3-1 at 32:46. Charles Linglet responded less than two minutes later to bring the Devils back within a goal at 34:20 with Mike Hedden and Gleason Fournier drawing assists on the play.

Pictured Below: Linglet scored the 2nd for the Devils to pull them back to 3-2


The Flames held their narrow 3-2 lead into the third period, but at 45:52, the Devils got the game-breaking play they needed.  With a Flames defender holding the puck, Matt Pope threw a big hit on him, battled to win the puck and found Joey Martin all alone in front who fired the puck low past Carrozzi to tie the game up at 3-3. 

Pictured Below: Dixon and Hedden celebrate the game winner from Fournier


Regulation time ended with the game still tied so into overtime it went.  The Devils had the majority of the chances, and even had a 2-minute powerplay, but they failed to convert with the man advantage.  Then with 36 seconds left to play, Fournier fired a wrist shot through traffic from the blueline that beat Carrozzi to give the Devils a 4-3 win.

Pictured Below: Man of the Match Gleason Fournier scored the game winner and added 2 assists 


Photo Credit: Richard Murray

Other News